Contact Me for a Free Consultation 1 (800) 407-1516

Tips on Filing

Necessary Documents for Filing for Social Security Benefits

There are many different documents that you will need to submit to the Social Security office to claim your benefits. Your Atlanta disability attorney will explain to you how many, if not all, of these documents will be the same ones that you need to have to file for disability. Your Atlanta disability attorney will also explain that many of these documents are very important documents and may not easily be replaced. When possible, only submit supporting documents that are a copy of the original. If you must submit an original or certified document, make sure it is a replacement document and not the original that you own. You will be required to submit:

  • The Social Security Administration application for benefits. This form is available online or in the office.
  • Your original birth certificate or other proof of birth.
  • Naturalization or citizenship papers if necessary.
  • A copy of your DD-214 Military service discharge papers.
  • A copy of our W-2s from the prior year or your self-employment tax statement for the previous year.

In addition to these documents, the Social Security office may also require you to provide:

  • Date and place of your birth and your Social Security number.
  • The name and address of your current employer or any employers for the previous year.
  • If you are filing between the months of September and December, you will need to provide an anticipated income for the following year.
  • Proof of income for the previous year.
  • If you served in the military prior to 1968, you will need to know your dates of active duty.
  • The name, age, and Social Security number of your spouse and any of your former spouses. You will also need to provide divorce or death dates of former spouses.
  • A copy of your Social Security Statement. This statement can be obtained from the Social Security website.
  • Your bank routing number so that your benefits check can be electronically deposited.
  • Additional information may be requested based on your individual circumstances.


If you have been turned down for Social Security disability call me at 1 (800) 407-1516. I look forward to hearing from you.