Contact Me for a Free Consultation 1 (800) 407-1516


Fair Housing Act Requires Reasonable Accommodations

Posted by Louis B. Lusk | Jul 12, 2013 | 0 Comments

Fair Housing Act Requires Reasonable Accommodations

The Fair Housing Act has specific provisions that require landlords to provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), a reasonable accommodation is “a change, exception, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice, or service that may be necessary for a person with a disability to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling, including public and common use spaces. … To show that a requested accommodation may be necessary, there must be an identifiable relationship between the requested accommodation and the individual's disability.” Recent Cases Washington and Maryland states made the news recently for having violations of the reasonable accommodation provision of the Fair Housing Act. The U.S. Department of Justice filed a discrimination lawsuit against the owners and managers of rental homes in Washington. The owners and managers required a $1000 pet deposit for all renters. This deposit was waived “for service animals with specialized training, but not for other assistance animals, including emotional support animals. … A low-income tenant with a mental disability repeatedly asked the defendants to waive the $1000 pet deposit for her assistance animal and provided numerous notes from medical professionals to support her request.” Because the owners and managers refused to grant the tenant's request, “she waited for over two and a half years to obtain an assistance animal and then began to pay the deposit in monthly installments at great financial hardship. After filing her HUD complaint, she was subjected to retaliation and harassment by the defendants, and she eventually moved out of the defendants' unit. Across the country, the Housing Authority of Baltimore recently entered a settlement agreement with HUD after complaints that Baltimore “failed to make a reasonable accommodation for a family with a young son with special needs.” The renter requested a four-bedroom apartment closer to her family. “She also provided doctor's letters indicating that the requested transfer would ameliorate her son's disability and her multiple disabilities. Among other things, her son's doctor recommended a larger unit so that the child, who is susceptible to viral infections due to asthma, would not have to share a bedroom with his siblings. Additionally, the mother raised concerns about mold and pests and the lack of air and heat controls in the two-bedroom unit they occupied at the time.” The requests were reasonable and within the Baltimore Housing Authority's authority to grant. The mother made several requests for the accommodation over a period of four years. It was not until the mother filed a complaint with HUD that the Baltimore Housing Authority granted her request. The settlement agreement requires that the Baltimore Housing authority pay the renter $150,000 and train their staff and managers about complying with the reasonable accommodation policy. If you find that your landlord is not following proper HUD policy in granting reasonable accommodations for your disability, contact us to fight for you. Our knowledgeable attorneys assure that your rights are protected. See Related Posts: Opening Mental Health Care To More Individuals Epilepsy and Social Security Disability National Disabilities Professional Week Hits a Milestone

About the Author

Louis B. Lusk

About Louis B. Lusk – Disability Attorney Attorney Louis B. Lusk has helped thousands of disabled individuals recover Social Security disability and SSI disability benefits.  He is an active member of the National Organization of Social Security Claimant's Representatives (NOSSCR), an organizat...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


If you have been turned down for Social Security disability call me at 1 (800) 407-1516. I look forward to hearing from you.